|Date Posted||March 23, 2020|
Training and Consultancy
CONSULTANCY - MARKET SURVEY IN NAIROBI METROPOLIS
Closing date 3 Apr 2020
Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an International organization with a mission to accompany, serve and advocate on behalf of refugees and other forcibly displaced persons that they may heal, learn and determine their own future. Our priority areas are reconciliation, education, livelihoods and advocacy. We have been involved in livelihoods and education activities for urban refugees in Nairobi for more than 25 years with an established presence among both the refugees and local communities. In particular, JRS with funding from Jesuit Mission Nuremberg intends to conduct a market survey in Nairobi and its environs where refugees and asylum seekers reside. The findings of the survey will provide an understanding of the market opportunities and challenges as well as inform the design of livelihoods interventions aimed at enhancing the self-reliance of urban refugees, asylum seekers and host communities.
Objectives of the Market Survey
Identify sustainable livelihoods opportunities that exist which may interest urban refugees.
· Experience managing complex projects with multiple partners, donors and stakeholders;
· Experience in identification and cultivation of field partners, development of partnership agreements, and management of partner engagements;
Assess the level of penetration, access and barriers to financial service by the refugees and asylum seekers with particular attention to gender considerations.
Analyze data and information about current beneficiaries to provide an overview of the income level, education, work experience and capacities, household expenditure and consumption patterns, coping mechanisms and financial risks management strategies.
Assessment of the urban labour market environment, rules and regulations, including challenges, legal and general political environment affecting social and economic situation of urban refugees and asylum seekers in the country.
Assessment of access to general supporting functions for refugees, including access to information, training, financial services and enterprise development services.
Assessment of refugees and asylum seekers to gain a good understanding of their skills, competencies, protection needs, education and work experience.
Market analysis to gain an overview of value chains relevant to the target group and with potential for growth and employment creation.
· Ability to think strategically, to understand program’s role in larger conservation efforts, organizational strategic objectives and to develop creative, pragmatic approaches to forward planning.
· Ability to be team leader, including management of team resources (both financial and human), providing guidance and mentorship to junior staff, and ensuring team’s delivery of goals;
· Excellent English oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, flexibility, and cultural sensitivity; knowledge of French and/or local languages considered advantageous;
· Understanding of basic financial principles, budgeting, and cost analysis;
· Patience, listening skills, and a sense of humor;
· Proactive, creative, and entrepreneurial approach to work;