|Date Posted||October 9, 2019|
Job Title: Deputy Regional Director-East Africa
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The Deputy Regional Director (DRD), East Africa (EA) will have significant management and international experience, a passion for humanitarian relief and development work, relevant language skills, and be capable of thoroughly understanding and successfully overseeing program design and delivery in Ethiopia , Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Uganda, Yemen and Zimbabwe. The DRD will ensure the quality of IRC's programs, develop new program opportunities, and drive performance and results in the region. S/he is expected to be an outstanding communicator and team leader, and a committed humanitarian.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Deputy Regional Director will support the Vice President EA Region in overseeing IRC’s engagement and programming in response to the humanitarian crises impacting the East Africa region. In addition, the DRD will engage with regional INGO, UN, and donor representatives, to position IRC on regional initiatives and to further IRC’s strategic goals. The DRD will also be actively engaged in business development opportunities, especially around multi-year, high value projects. The DRD will be based in Nairobi and report to the Vice President EA Region.
The Deputy Regional Director will oversee program design and implementation in IRC’s country programs in the East Africa region. S/he will be an ambassador for organizational priorities and goals to these country programs and supporting country programs to implement IRC’s Strategy 2020.
Exercising the delegated authority of the Vice President, the DRD provides a range of strategic, programmatic and operational management support to country programs and regional colleagues. A key function of the role is to navigate the organization on behalf of the country programs. The DRD will travel regularly to country offices to provide management support, including exceptional management of specific issues as required, and to monitor program quality. A significant portion of the DRD’s time will be spent on business development activities, regional representational activities, Strategic Plan monitoring, and staff mentoring.
• Work closely with the Vice President to ensure that the IRC’s global strategy is understood and guides decision-making throughout the region.
• Drive institutionalization of the Outcomes and Evidence Framework, IRC’s program design tools.
• Support delivery of country-level strategy action plans (SAPs). Facilitate and coordinate regional participation in global strategy discussions, initiatives and pilots.
• Oversee implementation of SAP monitoring mechanism and review process, including leading annual SAP reviews and reporting.
• Build consensus around a common vision of what shared success in the East Africa looks like, including developing and tracking appropriate indicators.
Leadership & Coordination
• Supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and leading documented semi-annual performance reviews.
• Provide leadership to increase country programs’ coordination, collaboration, communication and harmonization of programming.
• Demonstrated ability to influence peer agencies, local government and community leaders to work effectively towards a common and agreed upon result.
• Demonstrated ability to evaluate and implement best practices and processes affecting multiple technical specialties to achieve rapid, consistent and high quality outcomes.
• Demonstrated expertise in representation and negotiations, resulting in securing significant new opportunities for the organization
• Highly-developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching. Must be able to give direction from a variety of management styles and roles.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited supervision
• Strong commitment to the IRC’s mission, purpose and values
• Previous experience with IRC is desirable