|Date Posted||March 14, 2019|
Social Services & Nonprofit
|Street Address||Nairobi Branch|
Gender Analysis Along Vegetable Value Chains Consultancy
Closing date: 14 Mar 2019
REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL FROM INTERESTED GENDER SPECIALIST.
Terms of Reference for Gender Analysis Along Vegetable Value Chains and Training of Project Staff On Gender Mainstreaming
Traidcraft Exchange (TX) in partnership with Farm Concern International is implementing a three-year project titled, Sustainable Agriculture & Women’s Advancement: Improving Livelihoods and Establishing Women led Enterprises with Smallholder Farmers in Meru County Kenya (SAWA).
The project is in the first year and Traidcraft plans to undertake a detailed gender analysis of target vegetable value chains to further identify barriers, opportunities and solutions to engaging women in active decision making at all levels. Traidcraft also plans to train project staff on gender mainstreaming focusing on gender sensitization and practices that effectively engage with women and men to help achieve the outcomes and objectives of the project. This Terms of References is intended to guide the consultant and all who will be involved in analysis and staff training.
2. The Organizations
Traidcraft Exchange is the UK's only development charity specializing in making trade work for the poor by working to enable poor producers in Africa and Asia to grow their businesses, find markets, and engage effectively in trade. Traidcraft’s mission is to fight poverty through trade, practicing and promoting approaches to trade that help poor people in developing countries transform their lives. Established in 1979 as a Christian response to poverty, we combine a trading company and a development charity – Traidcraft Exchange. We build lasting relationships with producers, support people to trade out of poverty and work to bring about trade justice.
Farm Concern International, FCI is a Regional Market Development Agency, developing pro-poor market development models and strategic alliances to enhance economic growth among smallholder poor communities in various countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. FCI Commercialization and market development initiatives are benchmarked to private sector market development approaches with an aim of enhancing the competitiveness of the smallholder in the market place. The pro-poor business models are geared towards enhancing sustainability and profitability amongst smallholder farming communities in Africa. The organization vision is to have commercialized smallholder communities with increased incomes for improved, stabilized & sustainable livelihoods in Africa and beyond.
The project expected outputs include:
· Output 1: 2120 smallholder vegetable farmers are better organized and work collectively to access markets efficiently.
· Output 2: 2120 smallholder vegetable farmers demonstrate improved production through adoption of sustainable agricultural practices.
· Output 3: 1,590 women smallholders participating in vegetable value chains have increased influence in decision-making through participation, engagement and leadership.
· Output 4: 2120 smallholder vegetable farmers have improved access to markets and better terms of trade through partnerships with government and private sector.
4. Purpose of The Consultancy Assignment
The purpose of this consultancy assignment is to:
· To conduct a detailed gender analysis of identified vegetable value chains to further identify barriers and solutions to engaging women in active decision making at all levels.
· To train and support project staff on gender mainstreaming - gender sensitization and practices that effectively engage with women to help achieve the objectives of the project.
5. Expected deliverables
· A gender analysis report
· Two-day training workshop for project staff
· Tools for assessing/measuring progress on gender sensitization and women’s economic empowerment.
· Post training evaluation report
6. Project documentation
Traidcraft will make available a range of relevant project documents that the consultant should refer to, primarily the approved project proposal document, the baseline survey report and progress reports.
This assignment is expected to last not more than 16 days and shall commence on or about 20th March 2019 and shall be completed on or before 15th May 2019. It is however appreciated that the actual consultancy period will be determined by such developments as responsiveness of stakeholders’ and this will be communicated as the case may be.
· An influential communicator, with excellent written and verbal skills in both English and Kiswahili
· Over 5 years’ experience on gender mainstreaming and women’s empowerment
· Practical experience of participatory training
9. Proposal assessment criteria
Traidcraft will look into the following areas in assessing the quality of the proposal submitted by the bidding consultants.
· Impact: Reduced household poverty and sustainable livelihoods for smallholder horticulture farmers, particularly women in Meru County, Kenya.
· Qualification, skills and experience of the consultant.
· Practical and demonstrable experience on gender mainstreaming and women’s empowerment.
· Clarity of understanding of the task at hand as described in consultants’ own words.
· Quality and relevance of methodology proposed including adequacy of tools and approaches to be used in the analysis and training.
· Value for money including comparison of proposed costs and methodology.