|Date Posted||April 16, 2019|
Social Services & Nonprofit
|Street Address||Nairobi Branch|
MONITORING EVALUATION AND INFORMATION OFFICER-REF: MELIO-12-4-2019-(Garissa)
Closing date: 21 Apr 2019
CARE International in Kenya is looking for a well-organized and highly motivated individual who are result-oriented to fill the position mentioned below.
The position of Monitoring Evaluation Learning & Information Officer is for a multi-donor funded 5-year resilience program in Northern Kenya, Garissa County. By close of this activity in August 2020, Kenya RAPID Program would have benefitted 70,000 people of Garissa County by contributing to sustainable and resilient livelihoods for communities in arid and semi arid lands (ASALs). The core activities are centred on WASH, livestock, agriculture for nutrition security and enhancing devolved governance. Key functions of this position are therefore summarized as taking lead in monitoring program implementation, tracking of program indicators, writing of technical narrative reports to donors, reviewing of field activities vis-a-vis indicators’ targets, program documentation, supporting program evaluation activities, coordinating online based activities specifically the WaMaSP, collaboration and networking with other program stakeholders.
Reporting to the County Program Manager the MELIO will work closely with the County department of ICT as well as the other line sectors supporting the implementation of Kenya RAPID activities. The officer will be based in Garissa County with over 70% in the field and is a full time position.
The Kenya Resilient Arid Lands Partnership for Integrated Development (KENYA RAPID) was designed on the premise of promoting Public Private Partnership (PPP) models. Its implementation is guided by the principles of project implementation through facilitative approach (PIFA). KENYA RAPID mobilizes financial and technical resources from development partners, national government, county government and the private sector.
For the last 4 years Kenya RAPID has been operating, notable progress has been achieved in all the three strategic objectives. Key achievements include finalization of the county water policy, water Act and the water sector strategic plan. Some SMEs are currently working with private sector to enhance the supply chain and well over 50,000 people have been enabled access to safe water for domestic and also improved quantity for livestock. As the program enters its final phase, there is urgent need to develop strategic roadmap to monitor progress, track and document impact as well as initiate transitioning to handing over to the government.
The incumbent of this position is therefore a critical team member to guide this process as well as fast tracking any other tasks related to this assignment that have not been achieved from the previous years. The program activities are grafted under the following three strategic objectives;
● A responsive and accountable governance framework is in place and operational at county government level that ensures sustainable provision of water and pasture;
● Replicable and scalable business models for sustainable WASH and livestock service delivery are developed and operationalized; and
● Communities have increased access to sustainable WASH services and improved rangeland management
KENYA RAPID has in the last three years supported the county government departments to access data specifically on the functionality of community water points by installing SweetSense monitoring devices as well as assembling physical landscape data of all strategic water points using online mWater tool. This data is currently being uploaded by IBM to the water management as Service Platform (WaMaSP) for use by counties. The incumbent is therefore expected to take early initiatives to ensure the roll out of WaMaSP and coordinating with the ICT department to operationalize this software at key departments. The position also requires close collaboration with CARE ICT to ensure office internet infrastructure is compliant with the organization policy and expectations.
Position of the Information Officer
On a day to day operational level, the KENYA RAPID program will be coordinated by a County Coordination Unit (CCU) led by the county program manager. The program is housed at the county government premises and therefore collaboration with the host department, other USAID funded program collectively called the PREG and the county program steering committee will be critical. The position will constantly take lead in taking minutes and other documentations by these forums and circulating same as will be necessary.
●Excellent interpersonal, organizational and written/verbal communication skills
●Ability to work effectively under pressure and to organize and prioritize competing activities
:●Srong leadership skills and ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment
● Experience with working with county governments, civil society, donors and local communities;
● Strong conceptual and analytical skills
● Demonstrate high levels of initiative
● Flexibility in tasks undertaken
● Extensive knowledge of participatory approaches
● Understanding of development/relief issues
● Experience in ASAL counties, proven sensitivity to the setting and its challenges
· Willingness to learn and self-improve
2. Information Management Tasks
· Knowledge of backup and disaster recovery solutions
· Overall knowledge of software and hardware firewalls
· Basic network troubleshooting skills
· Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, mentoring and other formal and non-formal methods Good communication skills using speech and writing
Required Qualifications and Experience
● Post training in Monitoring and Evaluation will be critical and added advantage
● ICT Certification, Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate or equivalent is desired
● Demonstrated knowledge experience in managing evaluation and monitoring data.
· To support to develop data base for the program activities and documentaries
· To support program documentation such human interest stories, project visibility, case studies and photo galleries
· To support in compiling and reviewing monthly, quarterly, annual and final donor reports
· Support other field activities not necessary related to ICT and MEL
· Take lead in private engagement linkage and governance activities
· Provide back support for ICT and internet infrastructure for Kenya RAPID Garissa office
· Work with the country office knowledge management team and other external documentation such as MWA and media teams to do documentaries related to Kenya RAPID.
· Escalate program visibility and media coverage through dissemination forums such PMG and other national or international events.