|Date Posted||May 16, 2019|
Social Services & Nonprofit
|Street Address||Nairobi Branch|
Regional CBS Delegate Africa
Organisation: Norwegian Red Cross Closing date: 26 May 2019
The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers and staff operating in 191 countries. Our mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. To achieve this, we follow the seven humanitarian principles; Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality
In Africa, NorCross aims to improve the health of vulnerable people and reduce excess morbidity and mortality in contexts affected by conflict and protracted crisis in the Sahel and Horn of Africa.
NorCross will contribute to build capacity of National Societies (NSs) as well as supporting their programs in health in emergency. Further we aim to support National Societies health care delivery especially where the concerned governments are not able to fulfil the needs – always focusing on synergies together with other community-based programs.
Further NorCross aims to improve the regional emergency preparedness, early warning and response systems related to epidemic outbreaks, forced displacement and acute drought. This includes development and implementation of community-based surveillance (CBS).
The development of CBS methodology and platform technology is a collaboration between Norwegian Red Cross and the International Federation of Red Cross Red Crescent Societies and is a strategic priority for Norwegian Red Cross’ International Programmes and Preparedness Department. The CBS project aims to create a movement-wide tool (available to 191 national societies) to support Red Cross volunteers, staff and delegates in decision-making based on relevant and reliable information in real-time, ultimately enabling efficient and relevant preparedness and response to epidemics and disease outbreaks. Norwegian Red Cross has been at the forefront of this project since 2012 and has developed and tested prototypes and proofs of concept in Haiti, Sierra Leone and Madagascar. Currently, an MVP is being piloted in Somaliland, with more pilot countries expected to start in 2019.
The purpose of the Regional CBS Delegate is to use specific technical competencies to ensure that Norwegian Red Cross supported projects in the region are designed and implemented in accordance with established CBS and health technical standards and best practices.
The strategic responsibilities of the CBS Regional Delegate are to:
· Ensures that humanitarian projects reflect established technical standards and advises on the implementation of those standards and best practices.
· Train and coach Norwegian Red Cross and Host National Society teams in thematic frameworks and relevant technical standards and support the operationalization of those standards.
The Regional CBS delegate is responsible for rolling out CBS programme activities in Africa through support and advice to NorCross partners in relevant contexts where CBS is or could be a program component. This includes needs- and feasibility assessment of potential CBS implementation in the Africa region. Furthermore, the CBS delegate is to support the startup of CBS in Burundi, and support and quality assure the ongoing CBS programme in Somaliland. Through program implementation and sharing of results, the delegate has a specific responsibility in contributing to the development of the global CBS tools through field-testing, input and feedback to NorCross on functionality, effectiveness and user-friendliness of tools and guidelines and provide recommendations for future developments. Furthermore, the delegate contributes to bottom-up development of tools and standards, through active sharing and contributing to standardization of field-tested and proven tools developed through context-specific country programme implementation.
We seek a person who;
· takes initiative, makes things happen and is result oriented.
· Is result-oriented and has large working capacity.
· communicates in a clear, precise and structured way; speaks with authority and conviction; presents effectively.
· collaborates well with others both team members in NorCross and partner national societies; shares knowledge, experience and information, listen and supports others in the pursuit of team goals.
· builds a useful network of contacts and relationship and utilizes it to achieve objectives.
· develops people through delegation, empowerment and coaching; promotes career and self-development.
· creates a stable and re-assuring work environment and is firm and reliable.
· Is flexible to change in context and work tasks.
· Successful and proven experience from building technical capacities of colleagues and partner organizations.
· Advanced understanding of the use of innovative tools and approaches in relevant technical discipline, is an asset.
· Project assessments, management and monitoring.
· Regional languages an asset.
· French is an asset.
· Deputy regional representative Africa.
Position is based in:
· Nairobi, Kenya with extensive stay in the project countries in the region.